Net Control 2 version 12 build 6508 provides better compatibility with high-resolution displays in Windows, which use non-standard scale factors; fixes several issues found in the previous build.
This “What’s new” document includes a detailed list of new features and improvements in Net Control ² Classroom Management Software version 12. Please also see the following article for additional information regarding this release.
- Two view types: basic and advanced. The Basic view provides simplified User Interface with the lesser interface elements in the main window, hides several operations that are intended for experienced users (command prompt, policies, file management). The view type may be selected at startup or changed later in the teacher module settings.
- Unconnected computers are visible in all editions. The teacher module remembers inverse connections and displays them in the teacher console even when they are unconnected. This behaviour may be changed in the teacher module settings.
- Teachers can rename inverse connections.
- Standard Edition supports only inverse connections. Users of previous versions, for compatibility with the existing settings and environment, may request a special version of Standard Edition with the support of direct connections.
- New search interface. Standard Edition can search the network for inverse connections, using quick search methods (multicast) and individual import of computers from text lists, network neighborhood, Active Directory and so on.
- Search by Lesson ID. Student Registration tool supports special “Lesson ID” parameter. When a student has entered some Lesson ID parameter in the Student Registration window, a teacher can search the network for this ID, found student computers will be added to the workspace.
- Temporary connections: found student connections may be marked as “permanent” or “temporary”. For permanent connections, the teacher module will be assigned to the student in its settings permanently, temporary connections will remain active until restart of the computer or the user log off.
- Connection by Teacher Session ID. Students can connect a teacher computer themselves by providing the teacher module session ID (may be found in the teacher console, on About tab). As another way of connecting teachers in 1-to-1 or BYOD scenarios.
- Student console on student computers may be shown remotely from the teacher console using the connection’s context menu command.
- Lesson resources. A teacher can create lesson resources, as a text description, a set of files that will be sent to students, a set of local resources (links to programs, local files and documents, Internet websites). When created, lesson resources will be copied, displayed and available for all students that are connected to the teacher. Teacher can save and re-use the lesson resources at any time.
- Three new animated backgrounds for quizzes, messages and polls.
- Text messages may be shown in a windowed mode.
- Timed text messages: the messages may be automatically closed after some specified time.
- Locked messages: student cannot close the message until the specified time elapses, or a teacher closes the message window remotely.
- Students can restore (show again) a last message sent by a teacher.
- In addition to .JPEG images, “Messages” and “Question” tools support sending custom images in .BMP, .PNG and .GIF formats.
- Poll (quick question): teacher can set up a think time to make a delay between displaying a question and ability to answer it.
- Poll (quick question). The “Require answer” option makes impossible for students to close the poll window without choosing some answer.
- Poll (quick queston): timed polls, the question will be displayed only within the specified time.
- Poll (quick question): student responses are arranged by answer time. The corresponding places in the competition are displayed as signs over thumbnails in the connection list. A special new button in the teacher console is intended for resetting the signs.
- Poll (quick question): after a poll, in a few clicks, a teacher can send messages to all students who answered correctly or incorrectly.
- Quiz: extended statistics. A teacher can monitor student replies in Quiz Monitor window, in popup messages or in detailed view in the table. The statistics include given and correct answers for each student.
- A short sound signal will be played when a student raises hand on his/her computer.
- Speech Manager: allows displaying video from the teacher’s webcamera on student computers.
- Remote Desktop and Broadcast Desktop support custom, application-defined, non-system cursors, like brushes, pens in graphics software.
- Broadcast Desktop: improved broadcast toolbar.
- Student registration supports special “restricted” mode, when enabled, students cannot bypass the registration.
- Lesson timer: the teacher can set up a lesson timer that is always visible in the teacher console.
- Dragging and dropping a .JPEG/.PNG file on the teacher module window from an external program, sends and displays this file on selected student computers.
- The battery status of a student computer is displayed in a popup connection status window, the low level battery notification is displayed as a popup sign over student connection.
- When a help request notification received from a student, a popup sign appears over the student connection.
- New help request interface in the teacher module: on a help request, a teacher can either begin a remote control session or chat with the requesting student.
- New Avatar view instead of “icons view” in previous versions. Student connections may be represented by a custom image (a photo for example) or an avatar. The teacher module includes built-in the avatar editor, where you can create customized avatars for students.
- Quick commands panel is displayed at right side of each selected connection for quick applying the most important commands.
- Connection status window includes connection time.
- Professional Edition: teacher settings and profiles may be stored on Connection Server computer.
We at Net Software P.C. are proud to announce today a new release of a next generation of Net Control ² classroom management software, Net Control 2 version 12, in Standard, SmallClass and Professional editions.
The main improvements of this version touched existing tools and features, enhancement of the user interface, expansion of the available functions of the tools. This major update includes also several new features that will make the process of co-operation and co-working with students even more effective.
One of the tasks that we worked on developing this version, was simplification of the user interface for users that do not require access to all available features, when displaying the extensive list of buttons for all the available tools in one window may be confusing. For such situations, the software offers two primary view modes: the “basic” mode for inexperienced users and the “full” mode for more advanced teachers. You can select the preferred mode at the first start of the program.
We have significantly expanded functionality for managing student connections in Professional and SmallClass editions, as also for inverse connections in Standard (Classroom) edition. Now you can easily modify such connections: rename them, add custom descriptions, re-position on the screen. You can see icons or thumbnails of turned off computers, as it was with “direct” connections in Classroom Edition of previous versions. Moreover, for Standard Edition, the inverse connections model is now the primary and the solely available type of connections by default. The previous versions compatibility mode is available though (for the support of existing installations and environments), but it is disabled by default for new installations, and should be specially enabled in the process of installation for existing environments.
We have added a new “avatar” view type for student connections. Now students may be represented in the connections list by a custom graphics image (a photo, for example), or an avatar created with the built-in editor.
Professional Edition now includes a redesigned Connection Server Management Console, provides additional features for easy importing groups from Organizational Units list of Active Directory, can associate the teacher configuration and settings on the teacher computer with the account in Connection Server and store the configuration on the server directly.
Many of the features and improvements introduced in this version were suggested by our existing customers and were added according to your requests. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, loyalty and support, and we will be happy to hear your opinions and ideas regarding the new version also.
A more extensive list of the new features will be provided in the following post.
April 3rd, 2017
Mobile Clients for Android are already available in Google AppStore:
Net Control 2 PRO Mobile Client version 11.2 in Google AppStore
and share the same features base as iOS editions. For more information about new and updated features please refer to the following resources:
In addition to Net Control 2 PRO Mobile Client released a couple of days before, we are happy to release today an updated version for Net Control 2 Classroom (Standard Edition).
iOS Mobile Client for Net Control 2 Classroom works on iPad and iPhone, compatible with iOS version 7 and higher and supports all features provided in Mobile Client for Professional Edition (except for Pro-specific features like “self-registration”), in addition, it supports:
- searching your local network for available teacher modules: you just need to specify an ID of the teacher that you would like to connect to, Mobile Client will try to find it and connect it automatically. Please read the following article in our Knowledge Base for additional information;
- optionally, you can enable discovering your device in Mobile Client settings, then teachers will be able to find your device in the network in the same way as they find desktop computers, your device will be placed to the teacher workspace and automatically connected.
Android versions of Mobile Client version 11.2 are coming soon!
We are happy to announce that we just published today an updated version of our iOS Mobile Client for Net Control 2 Professional Edition, and the latest version 11.2 is already available in Apple AppStore.
This version was redesigned to support the new and updated features introduced in desktop versions of Net Control 2 version 11.xx, including the latest protocols of Broadcast Desktop tool, new Virtual Whiteboard, Grades tools and others.
With Net Control 2 PRO Mobile Client students can connect Connection Server as ordinary “desktop” student modules, in the same way assigned to some group, depending on Connection Server group settings, and will be visible in the teacher console of a teacher that opens this group.
The same as with desktop student module, Mobile Client users can use self-registration feature, and choose a teacher from a list of available in the network teachers and connect to them automatically.
Net Control 2 PRO Mobile Client supports:
- Broadcast Desktop Viewer features – a teacher can share his/her screen of the teacher computer with students that use Net Control 2 Mobile Clients, the teacher’s desktop will be visible on iOS devices in a realtime showing all actions performed on the teacher computer;
- Full screen text and graphic messages;
- Interactive quizzes, including new quiz formats introduced in version 11;
- Participate in chats initiated by a teacher;
- Send help requests to teachers;
- Raise hand virtually and get notifications when a teacher has called the student on;
- Use virtual whiteboard;
- Fill in student registration forms sent by a teacher;
and other features.
Net Control 2 PRO Mobile Client for iOS you can download here:
Updates for other platforms and editions are coming soon…
Among other changes and improvements in Net Control 2 Standard Edition version 11.10, this version uses a modified protocol for direct connections that provides additional security measures for Net Control 2 clients that do not use authentication or connection filtering features.
Unfortunately these changes make impossible using version 11.10 of Net Control 2 Client (Student) module with older teacher modules.
If the teacher module has version below than 11.10 and it attempts to connect the student module of version 11.10 or higher with direct connection model, such connection will be displayed with “waiting for screenshot” logo and no commands may be applied to the student computer.
Solution: update the teacher module to the latest version over existing installation, removal of the previous version is not required.
February 9, 2016
Net Control 2 version 11.10 is released.
What’s new in version 11.10:
- PRO Edition: teachers can create groups, containers and copy connections from one group to other directly in the teacher console; in order to use these features, the teacher should have write access privileges for the modified group. For more information please refer to the Installation and Configuration guide.
- Send/Collect: new add folder button on Send Files tab;
- Internet restrictions: support of Chrome browser for Internet Control Engine Mode 1 (direct control from the service);
- Internet restrictions: support of Internet Control Engine Mode 3: the native TCP/IP protocol layer mode (old mode, as it was used in Net Control 2 versions 9 and below);
- Security: group passwords are still optional for direct connections but are highly recommended (additional notifications in the setup program);
- Security: Net Control 2 Demo version can work only with a dedicated Demo group and cannot be used for controlling registered or fully functional versions/editions of the software.
- Other minor secuirty improvements for direct connections support; connection session logging.
- Minor UI improvements.
February 8, 2016
This update includes several improvements for Net Control 2 Broadcast Desktop and Remote Desktop engines.
Now it is possible to enable the “lossless compression algorithms” mode, when an image will be compressed and sent to viewers with exactly the same color depth and quality as it was captured on the sender’s party. This makes possible to avoid lossy compression artefacts: color fading and a color “noise” around text and high-contrast elements. On another hand, lossless compression requires a wider network bandwidth and low latency networks, therefore it is disabled by default.
To enable the lossless compression, you need to modify settings on the sender’s party: i.e. on the teacher computer for Broadcast Desktop tool, and on student computers for Remote Desktop tool. To enable the option on a teacher computer, in the teacher console click the main menu command N – Options – Options. On Control/Broadcast page enable “Lossless (bet. quality lower performance” option and click OK. To enable this option on student computers: select student computers in the teacher console, then click the main menu command N – Options – Client Options. On Control/Broadcast page enable “Lossless compression” option and click OK.
Net Control 2 Version 11.02 also includes several improvements for the automatic broadcast protocol mode introduced in version 11.01 in the part of the performance and stability.
To extend visibility of Net Control 2 software for end users we are participating in multiple Internet projects that provide information about computer software in form of Internet directories, catalogs or listings for potential customers.
Many of such directories use ratings from existing customers to provide a true information about the software, its features, advantages and disadvantages.
We also are highly interested in getting a feedback from our clients to make our services and the software even better.
Therefore we are happy to make the following offer: please leave a short opinion about Net Control 2 software using a link below this message and we will extend your free upgrade period for 6 months (Standard and PRO Editions) or for 3 months (for SmallClass ediiton). This operation should not take more than 1-2 minutes (including reading this article), does not require any registration or other time consuming procedures.
The free upgrade period allows to keep the software up-to-date, compatible with the latest operating systems, service packs and system updates. Most often this also means that within the free upgrade period you’re getting new features and improvements free of charge.
This offer is valid for customers who have active free upgrade period or if your free upgrade period is over less than 6 months ago (for Standard and PRO editions) or 3 months (for SmallClass edition). If your free upgrade period is ended earlier, the offer will be valid for any future paid upgrade, if it is done within 3 months from the date of your rating.
Both positive and negative ratings are accepted for the offer 🙂 Though we will be highly appreciated if you address any your issues with the software or services to our support team first for possible resolution.
If you have any questions regarding the offer, please contact us at http://ask.netcontrol2.com
Please rate Net Control 2 here: http://www.netcontrol2.com/redirect?id=rate
Any your contact information is remaining confidential. After you left your opinion please do not forget to notify us.